Tuesday, June 13, 2006

"Intern attacked on her way to the Zoo"

This morning, this beautiful,fresh june morning, I was assailed,.
The peace and tranquility of dawn was shadowed as I was physically abused by a winged attacker.
Yes, this morning I was victim of beak abuse.
So Im walkin along, spring in my step, false notes in the air, when, BAM, something hits me in the shoulder. i turn, and see this poor bird kinda swerving away.
My motherly instincts for any animal which is not a human instantly kicked in, and i started cooin over the poor birdie, and askin it if it was ok. seemed like it as he sat on the branch, so I continued.
I wondered what had prompted such clumsy behavior, and wondered if perhaps i had somthing on my back, so i reach towards my bag.
indeed, there is something.
horrified, i fling my bag off, only to see mr.birdie fly off of it and towards me again.
"what the hell?" i utter in an absurdly half pitch voice, and back away with my precious pink bag in my hand.

Later on, I tried identifying my assailant:the Northern Mockingbird. Reading his fifiche, I happen to come across his motives:

"Mockingbirds are extremely territorial and become defensive against potential predators. "
what predator?
"If you or your child or pet approaches a nest, either knowingly or otherwise, the mockingbird will defend its nest by swooping and chasing the intruder. No known harm has resulted in attacks from mockingbirds."
Here I disagree: i have been emotionally scarred by this violent encounter.
"This behavior is temporary and will only continue for as long as there are hatchlings in the nest (about two weeks). It is best to avoid the nesting area during this short period.


And finally my favorite part:
"As a songbird it is protected by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission and cannot be physically harmed, nor can the habitat be molested in any way. "


Here's a picture of the felon. Be wary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home